Friday 8 October 2010

Day 4. Better late than never!


Day 4

Normal routine on the Aboyne expeditions is to wake up at first light and look at the sky in the direction of the airfield. The picture that greeted me on Wednesday morning when I opened the curtains was probably one of the best early morning wave sky’s I have seen in a long time. Suffice to say the drive to the airfield was faster than normal

There is always a level of uncertainty when you are first to Launch Evan when the sky looks good, so I should have stuck to my golden rule of taking a slightly higher launch to be safe. The result of my inattention was 500ft very quickly lost and then a slow climb back into the wave. After about an hour we had worked our way forward to the primary wave in the lee of lochnagar and started climbing in the upper wave system.

Going on to Oxygen at 10,500ft, I passed the comment that someone will get diamond height here at which point the lift dropped off and we topped out at 11,000ft. Everyone on the expedition also had good wave flights today but by late afternoon it was getting very difficult to contact it without taking a high aerotow.

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment